In space, nobody can hear you rust

Anyone who frequents my blog has probably guessed by now I like ground textures and materials. There is nothing more I enjoy than trying out all manner of products and mediums, especially for weathering armoured vehicles and Mecha. Whilst out and about this week I discovered these textured paints from Tamiya, which I have not encountered before. Most of the textured acrylics I have used to date, such as those from Games Workshop, or Windsor and Newton use small beads of various sizes to give the suspension body and texture. The Tamiya paint however contains finely ground ceramic and this is what gives it an amazingly natural property as well as a stunning matt finish.

I haven’t put them fully through their paces yet as they are primarily aimed at diorama builders rather than wargamers, however I can see a huge potential in them for caked mud and dirt build up or giving paving an even finer grit texture. Very much looking forward to experimenting with them this weekend at some stage, so I’ll be sure to post the results here.

Back on the workbench, I have finished the first of the cross-junction sections and a pair of short corridors this week also, so it is back to casting up some more blocks. As the project gains tractions again I have realised I am probably going to have to get myself a bit more organised in the workshop to be able to stay on top of this plus the painting. Probably a task for this weekend then, which in the UK is a rather nice long one courtesy of HRH and the extended Public Holiday, so that’s a bonus.

I have accepted the fact that the colours across all of the room and corridor sections are not going to match perfectly due to the organic (read: Unorganised) nature I have been painting them in and the fact that many of the blended colours have now been replaced by GW in the last paint range update.  I don’t really mind to be honest as I would like it to feel more like a board game in places with some variety in the sections. Rather like Warhammer Quest used to be. Now that is a game I would dearly love Games Workshop to do a re-release special for. I would made terrain for that at the drop of a hat!

For those wondering about the colours used on the walls, they are the same as I used on the Bastions. However, to save you looking them up, I will re-iterate them again below.

  • Base: After a very light white primer, the walls are given a base coat of watered down Adeptus Battle Grey followed by a coat of Klear (any acrylic gloss varnish will do).
  • Shade: They are then given a generous wash of watered down black Kiwi liquid shoe polish (Yes, you read that right) which is then mostly wiped away immediately to leave just the stain in the darker recesses.  I highly recommend wearing disposable gloves for this, it’s messy.
  • Dry Brush 1 (Heavy): A mix of 50/50 Shadow Grey and Graveyard Earth
  • Dry Brush 2 (Medium): 50/50 Mix 1 above with Rotting Flesh
  • Dry Brush 3 (Light): Fortress Grey

The decking is a 50/50 mix of Boltgun and Charadon Granite, followed by the Kiwi shade and finally a dry brush of Silver.

Aside from the terrain, I have been dipping into a couple of other painting works throughout the week as the mood has taken me. Mostly these were the other two Necron Wraiths getting the Alclad treatment with the airbrush, but I did manage to spend a little time getting the base colours and shade in place on a Captain of the White Tower version of Boromir. There should be an WIP photo somewhere in the Twitter feed.

That will have to do for now as the timer is chiming to tell me the next batch of floor tiles are ready to be removed from the moulds. There really are times I feel the cat could do a little more to pull its weight around here, other than just steal my chair!

Until next time, have a great week.

CW

« «  Constructing the Alabaster   |   Firewall the Engines  » »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hobby happening right now
CURRENTLY OFFLINE
%d bloggers like this: