Let’s paint: Shambling Mound

shambler-01
Shambling Mound primed. Check. Moomin mug. Check. Coffee. Check.

The Shambling Mound from Otherworld Miniatures reminds me an awful lot of something I saw on Dr Who as a child. Ah yes, the “Seeds of Doom” even though it’s origins are in D&D. Scared the beejesus out of me as a child, so when I saw Otherworld’s rather nice miniature I knew I needed to include one in my Frostgrave bestiary. Very little cleanup or prep was required and once based and sealed I applied a three stage primer of black, grey and white to help bring out the details and transitions, it being a very busy model texture wise.

Being a mountenous mass of ambulatory vegetation the first stage was to get a couple of base colours on from which I could create some natural tones. I used the airbrush to layer on a mix of Vallejo Green Grey with a drop of GW Death World Forest (rather apt). Over the bark-like arms I used Khaki although GW Zandri Dust would work just as well. Finally for the leafy areas and snout I applied Game Air Sick Green.

shambler-04a
Airbrush – Base colour

The next stage was to pick out all of the vines in the same green grey I used for the base but with the addition of some Deck Tan.

shambler-04b
Brush – The vines

Then details such as the larger leaves and fruit/seed pods. For the leaves I mixed tones of dark and mid greens and the seed pods were Tan (Marron) to which I added a drop of Scrofulous Brown to introduce a little yellow.

shambler-04c
Brush – Leaves and seeds pods

Finally, for the funghi on the leg and the hanging fruit I went for a similar yellow/brown and deep plum purple.

shambler-04d
Brush – Nice plums!

The base colours done I applied a range of washes. With such a volume of layers in the detail washes are really the only sensible way to give the miniature depth and contrast if getting it gaming is the aim. For the majority of the body and vines I applied a layer of Athonian Camoshade, Sepia for the arms and the dark greenshade just on the leafy areas.

shambler-04e
Brush – Wash stage

Let the wash dry fully then it’s time for the first highlight. For the vines I re-applied a lighter mix of the Green Grey and Deck Tan with a biase to the tan. I focussed on the upper surfaces of the vines leaving the deeper shadows untouched. For the final highlight a few spots of Bone white helped emphsise the volume. I did the same for the arms and finally gave the leaves and other green areas a highlight of Sick Green mixed with a drop of the green grey.

shambler-04f
Brush – Highlights

The same for the seed pods, funghi and ‘plums’ which were all given a highlight of the original base colour followed by a spot highlight of ivory in the case of the fruit, and bone white for the seed pods.

shambler-04g
Brush – Still nice plums

And that’s pretty much done. I painted the eyes with a dot of ivory and gave them a wash of red for menace. The base I washed with various thin glazes of browns, sepia and greens before a light dry-brush of bone white. A final thin wash of red flesh tone helped homogenise. After tidying up the rim in black all that remains is to varnish the miniature before garnishing the base with some grass tufts and other material.

I’ll finish once the varnish has had a chance to cure and tidy up any highlights. For a quick evenings work though I’m quite satisfied and think it’s a visually interesting miniature, something Otherworld seem to really excel at with their creatures. I also have one of their giant spiders which I suspect is going to be equally as entertaining, but for now this one’s going into the cabinet along with the henchmen and my first Wizard’s apprentice.

Happy shambling!

« «  Blast-tastic 2016   |   Team Yankee: Bundeswehr  » »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hobby happening right now
CURRENTLY OFFLINE
%d bloggers like this: