Phantom Restoration

I was supposed to be working on the second set of four Tablescape panels today but the weather turned a bit nasty before I could get them primed. So instead I’ve fished an original Epic Phantom Titan out of the ‘Dettol’ bath to see what I can do with it. If you follow my Instagram posts you will have seen I spotted this chap whilst rummaging around yesterday evening in one of the lesser frequented recesses of the bits boxes. I must have painted this over twenty years ago so it was looking rather chipped, dusty and in a bit of a sorry state.

Epic Eldar Phantom

No good miniature ever needs to go to waste and that is doubly true for anything out of production like the Phantom (or pretty much all of Epic these days now I come to think about it). I dropped it into the paint stripper last night after freeing as many parts up as I could using a little cellulose thinner to break down the super-glue in the joints. The original base was also irrevocably destroyed in the process, but that was a small sacrifice to pay.

Epic Eldar Phantom Titan

Even after only twelve or so hours in the Dettol, a quick scrub and wash with a de-greaser removed pretty much all the old paint and primer. I then gave the parts a final scrub with a brass brush and drilled out new pinning points on the wings, head, power fits and legs so I could paint separately.

Epic Eldar Phantom Titan

At this stage I’ve given everything with the exception of the new base and feet a fresh coat of Scale 75 Black Primer, followed by a pre-mid and highlight coat of grey and finally white primer on the high spots. The wings are basecoated and the main body has been given a light base of bone white with the airbrush. I haven’t fully settled on a palette yet but will probably look to base it broadly on the version I did for the Swordwind supplement all those years back.

Epic Eldar Phantom Titan

The exception will be the wings (as you can see from the work in progress photo), but I will probably stick with the green trim and head with red facemask. I may also add a few more tones to the Pulse Laser as well. So there you have it, from old mini to freshly stripped and back on the workbench in a day. It just underlines that there is no such thing as a redundant model; anything can be salvaged and put back into service. If the weather remains stubbornly wet I may well be spending a bit more time in the company of this old War Engine over the course of the weekend.

« «  About those archives   |   On the Workbench – Week 25  » »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hobby happening right now
CURRENTLY OFFLINE
%d bloggers like this: