This weekend has mostly been about Necrons. No particular reason, I just fancied a change and the Necrons are an army that I have had at the back of my mind to do for several years now. I actually purchased most of the models quite a while back but couldn’t work up the enthusiasm to paint up more than one or two samples to try out different colour palettes. I thought I would have a stab at revisiting them again with a view to trying to knock most of the army out in a couple of sittings. After experimenting with a couple of different approaches, I settled on a very basic army list consisting of primarily Warriors (plenty of!), Tomb Spiders, Wraiths, a small cohort of Destroyers and a Monolith. I am not going to go into huge details over what exactly it looks like as it is a pretty vanilla Necron force and unconverted, so nothing that hasn’t been seen a hundred times before. Once the first wave has been painted I will include a picture or two, but as at this stage they are just plain old naked grey plastic there isn’t really anything worth looking at.
What I have been working on however, is some themed terrain to go with them and that is where the GW Temple of Skulls comes in that I mentioned earlier in the week. When I saw this released for Warhammer I didn’t really pay it much attention. It is a nice and surprisingly weighty piece of terrain, but I didn’t really see much of a role for it in my collection. That was until a friend pointed out how well it would go if I thought of it more as an ancient shrine to the Necrons. Thus ensued a lengthy debate along the lines of “But what about the obvious Chaos marks in the stone?” vs “That’s just the sort of mis-direction the ‘Deceiver’ would find amusing”.
This went on for some time, but eventually, the more I thought about it, the more the idea started to appeal to me. The goal I set myself was to paint the Temple of Skulls as normal so it appeared a pretty clear cut corrupt ruin of chaos, but with a little closer inspection a few cryptic (or not?) clues could be found revealing its true origins.
I’d actually like to think it isn’t quite so tacky as that as I did go to some effort to try to make the marking as subtle as possible and blend them into the pillars so that they ‘just’ caught the light. Finding the right balance between making them too difficult to see or being too obvious took a little trial and error. In the end the best approach I found was hand painted gloss varnish as the base and Klear as the medium for mounting and sealing the transfers. This kept ‘silvering’ of the transfer down to a minimum and once nearly dry Klear was again used to chase out any remaining air bubbles. A couple of light coats of hand painted matt varnish killed the light and the transfer were then weathered in with some light dry brushing of fortress grey and bone white. Two very light coats of purity seal then helped tie it all together light wise.
I did hide another clue in the painting of the two standing pillars which unfortunately really doesn’t come out in the photos at all sadly (maybe a little too subtle!), which is the rusting. Prior to the final weathering I painted the pillars in the same base palette I plan on using on the Monolith, which is a 50/50 mix of Charadon Granite and Boltgun Metal. This was then weathered over in the stone and bone white to leave just a hint of it in a few places and the rust helps to emphasise the effect. To be honest, the same effect can be achieved by hand painting and then washing out the symbols, but this provided a nice exercise in blending decals onto a tricky textured surface.
More terrain to come this week while I still have the motivation to get it completed, although I might just have to paint one or two Necrons first to try out the palette as it would be a shame to finsih the temple and have nothing to show it with.
Have a great week.