Imperial Assault – Part Three

///Imperial Assault – Part Three

The Nexu is the big cat type predator you see Amidala slapping about on Geonosis at the end of Episode II: Attack of the Clones. It isn’t as difficult to paint as you might imagine, but getting the right colours for the fur and markings was a bit tricky.

I started with a white primer. In fact everything to date with the exception of Vader and the Imperial Probe Droids began with a white prime. I then applied the fur base colour and stripes using an airbrush to get both a light base as well as some diffusion in the stripes. For the fur this was a mix of VMC Ochre and Sand Yellow and the stripes were saddle brown. Before painting the other details I gave the fur some depth with a thinned wash of sepia, giving particular attention to where the shadows would be deepest in joints and underneath the head and belly. The tail was a base of GW Ratskin Fur which I highlighted by adding Elf Flesh into the mix. The inside of the mouth and the gums were a simple heavy wash of Carroburg Crimson followed by an additional wash of Nuln Oil to deepen the the shadows around the gums and tongue. I picked out the teeth using a normal layering of medium browns, bone white and finally pure white which was softened with a thinned sepia wash. Finally the inside of the mouth was painted with Tamiya Clear Red to give it a deep shiny wet red look. After that it was just a few standard details such as claws and razorback spines (grey) and eyes which were given a base of Mephiston Red and Red Glaze with black pupils. Gloss varnish also helps then catch that little bit of light and glisten.

Finally came the miniature I’d been waiting to paint since I first began, the AT-ST.

Here is where I deviated completely from the approach Sorastro has been taking as I felt I could get more out of the miniature just as quickly using airbrush and oils due to its large size. Even though I spread the work over three evenings, it probably took no more than a couple of hours of actual effort overall as the effects are quite time efficient.

Starting with the airbrush I applied two to three coats of Vallejo Stonewall Grey + Wolf Grey, each getting increasingly lighter across upper panels and where there would be natural highlights. I then gave these an edge highlight in white by hand as well as increase the modulation on some of the upper detailing like hatch hinges and junction boxes/trim. The guns and other weapons were also painted with a 40/40/20 mix of Mechanicus Grey, Black and Ironbreaker metal which once dry was given a wash of Nuln Oil and highlighted in Silver. At this stage the entire miniature was given two light coats of Klear to protect the acrylics and homogenise.

The next part is where the real fun started as I switched to artists oils for the weathering and tones. I applied a range of black, burnt umber and red oil paints in a very random fashion which I then blended downwards (stumped) using a clean flat brush lightly dampened with mineral spirit. Once I got the effect I was happy with I sealed with a second coat of varnish and applied Charadon Granite chipping using a piece of torn sponge. I’d still like to return to this miniature at a later date and maybe add some other effects such as scratches and blaster damage, but for now it’s pretty much game ready.

The only figures remaining now are the Trandoshan Hunters from the mercenary faction, the six Rebel heroes and of course the two included Ally and Villain packs containing Luke Skywalker and Vader. With that in mind and to get the campaign up and running I’ll be moving onto Vader and the first two heroes in the next update.

Until then, have a great week.


By |2017-02-07T21:52:58+00:00April 22nd, 2015|Categories: Star Wars|Tags: , , , |6 Comments


  1. Thorin April 22, 2015 at 6:19 pm - Reply

    The AT-ST is really awesome!

  2. redtrombone April 23, 2015 at 7:20 am - Reply

    Same as Thorin. That AT-ST is very very nice. Also, the way you describe the process is greatly appreciated.

    • Carl Woodrow April 23, 2015 at 9:18 am - Reply

      Thanks man, glad you found it useful. If you need any further details just ask, I’ll be happy to provide any other steps/info

      • redtrombone April 23, 2015 at 9:22 am - Reply

        Back when I didn’t have the age nor knowledge to distinguish a Russ from a Sherman, I tried to get some dose of realism and start some historical kits. I ruined a perfectly good Tiger with a wittless mixture of oils and other pigments that NEVER dried (And I’m talking months). I guess this was enough trauma to try and experiment any further.

        It’s interesting to note that you can apply pigments, oils and other stuff to a gaming piece as long as it’s properly sealed (so it doesn’t smudge).

        I’ll experiment again, thanks!

        • Carl Woodrow April 26, 2015 at 9:56 am - Reply

          Thanks mate. The really important point to emphasise here with the oils is once you have applied them and blended away the excess to leave the effect you want, what is left behind is a minuscule amount of pigment and carrier. Because of that it will dry very quickly (hours not days). This can also be speeded up with a hair dryer. The varnish at the end is more about protecting and sealing in the oils so you can do further ‘layers’ of weathering if desired without disturbing previous layers. It isn’t really needed to fix the oils against smudging; the oil volume is so tiny you can safely handle it without that happening 🙂

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: