Drum roll

I found myself at a bit of a loose end earlier in the week, but didn’t really have the time or inclination to sit down for a regular painting session. Terrain painting is a great ‘gap filler’ for times like that, so I dug out a few frames of old Games Workshop fortifications and clipped out the oil drums and ‘hedgehogs’ to add to my generic scatter terrain box for games such as 40K and Deadzone. Note: shown with additional storage cases and cylinders from the Mantic Deadzone terrain sprue.

Assembled into a selection of small groups they make more meaningful cover, not to mention easier to lay out in the warzone. Preparation wise I primed everything black before giving them a coat of Dark Flesh with the airbrush. To create a bit of weathering I added a coat of AK chipping fluid and a final thin coat of Tamiya Dark Yellow. This was then immediately distressed with the aid of the soluble fluid underneath to reveal a more scuffed and bleached out appearance. I also applied a couple of rust coloured pigments and a few runs of Games Workshops corrosion effect to create a rusty oil stain look. The final touch was a few runs of Games Workshop’s Nurgle Disease to add a leaking chemical spill to a couple of the drums.

I could have made these far more realistic and included faded markings, labels or a proper rusted appearance. However the idea was to literally get them from frame to table in as little as an hour, so simple but effective was the order of the day. Definitely on a bit of a terrain kick at the moment, must be all that gardening I’ve been doing lately.

« «  Cometh the apocalypse   |   Late spring cleanout  » »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hobby happening right now
CURRENTLY OFFLINE
%d bloggers like this: