Dreadfleet Reaver

Continuing with the diversity theme on the painting table this week with the first of what will hopefully be a regular slot for Dreadfleet. Like many who bought the stand-alone nautically themed game it was primarily for the miniatures. Which was probably just as well as the game allegedly turned out to be riper than a washed up Kraken carcass rule wise. To be fair there is a germ of a good game in Dreadfleet I believe, it just needs a few of the more frustratingly random events and rule mechanics reworked from what I am hearing.

Putting that aside for now though, I would like to get everything painted up still, the miniatures are just too nice to sit in the box unmolested. So, I have set myself the task of trying to paint at least one ship each month alongside my other projects purely for fun. This month and first on the list is the Bloody Reaver. Being the largest and probably fiddliest of the ships, I wanted to get it out of the way. Also, if I can get both the Reaver and Heldenhammer done first I can actually try out an intro game or two and see if it rightfully lives up to its reputation. I painted the majority of the gaming aids and terrain pieces last year so they are all ready to go.

No painting guide this time around. The game received plenty of attention from GW when it was released and I haven’t done anything different to what was in their White Dwarf walkthrough at the time. The finished Reaver has been given a few light coats of Klear to help protect the paint and although I was then going to knock this back with a matt coat, I actually quite like the semi-gloss satin finish so may just leave it as is. The only question remaining is whether to give the water base an additional coat of high gloss varnish for that wet look. Or is that too much?

Next on the list, the mighty Heldenhammer.

Aside from dainty pirate ships, I’ve also been warming up a few ideas for this winters challenge project. If you remember, the latter part of 2012 and January of this year I set myself a challenge to paint up a new army for Epic Armageddon. As it ended up going a lot better than I expected, I decided to follow up this year with a second winter challenge. I bounced around a few ideas such as my take on the Ultramarines 2nd Company, which desperately needs finishing, Starship Troopers or perhaps Lord of the Rings. The latter two will certainly happen at some stage, in the case of Lord of the Rings probably sooner rather than letter as no doubt I will gain some inspiration from watching The Hobbit again when the extended version comes out. What I have settled on however is Dropzone Commander. This is a game I invested in at launch last year and haven’t done anything with since. I really like (most of) the miniatures and love the concept. It’s also a game I haven’t done before and being 10mm sits somewhere in-between Flames of War and Epic, so it pretty much ticks all the boxes. Planning is still very much at an early stage and I haven’t even fleshed out a theme or palette yet.

To get the ball rolling however, I have been testing out how much work is involved in magnetising the miniatures. For many this is just for stuff like turrets, but for the PHR you can quite literally go to town and almost fully articulate the walkers as well as have them hanging below their respective Dropships. This isn’t particularly new; they were designed with exactly that in mind and plenty of gamers have done precisely that. Not one to pass up such an opportunity I fished out a Zeus and Neptune class carrier to try it out.

Loving the result. Hang in there little buddy!

You will have to wait a while yet before I get things moving with this as I really want to hit my targets on Dreadball and Flames of War first. But Dropzone Commander (DZC) is certainly looking favourite for this years winter challenge. More as the year goes on.

Oh, one last thing before I scurry back to the workshop. If like me you have ever bought or used silicon base texture stamps you might want to look at the ‘Basius’ Kickstarter being run by small producer Wargames Bakery. The solid negative 6″ diameter imprint plate they are producing in resin looks like it has real potential for both a crisp imprint and massive flexibility for base sized and effects. I’ve backed them for two designs for their size and potential usability alone, this looks like a clever solution that gets around some of the soft detail issues you tend to get with silicon molds.

 

You can see examples, including how these work with multiple bases on their Kickstarter. Being a very small UK company this is a short funding drive with only 5 days left to run, so I’d say get in there quick if interested as the discounts are quite deep and I can see these designs really returning  their investment in the long run.  Would love to get my hands on the one above and the Wooden Planking prior to starting on the Dwarves and Goblin Town Goblins again for The Hobbit to put them through their paces, but will just have to wait until November when they hopefully ship.

Right, that’s me for now. Until next time, have a great week.

CW

« «  Bugs vs Robots   |   Brush Cull  » »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Hobby happening right now
CURRENTLY OFFLINE
%d bloggers like this: