It has been all about the fast movers and assault this week, with two detachments of Bikes hitting the painting station. These are all current edition miniatures based three to a stand and upgraded with a couple of Heavy Bolter and Melta toting Attack Bikes for added punch. Other than that, there is nothing really special about either of these formations other than the extra mobility they add to the army. I upgraded one of the detachments to include a Commander so that both groups could be combined into a single strike package should I need the extra weight of numbers.
This has added another 425 points to the total, which still leaves me considerably short of my next stretch target. So a bit more work to do yet before I can dip into the Heresy Era bits box. The next formation being Land Speeders will bring me close, but I think at least one other selection is still required. Fortunately, as I have been getting through the force far quicker than I originally anticipated, I have been doing a bit of forward planning and prepping a range of units to potentially add in the future. I think this is possibly a necessity as the rapid drop in temperature and available hours of daylight have made it harder to find suitable times to do any outdoor priming. The more I can get cleaned, assembled and primed in advance the better as it means I won’t be left waiting on the weather should I find myself ahead of schedule again.
‘Gilbear’ made a comment in my previous post that I thought I would also respond to here, rather than directly because I thought it raised a good point which I felt it warranted a more detailed answer. Inquiring why I was not doing more in the way of conversions, in particular the popular ones like adding Assault Cannons to Terminators for example, or more in the way of special characters. It’s a great question as it is actually by choice not accident that I have left the infantry pretty generic to date. There are a number of reasons I haven’t included much (or any) conversions to date in the infantry selection, and that is because I really want to get the bulk of rank and file done as quickly and efficiently as possible without becoming bogged down by delicate character or detail conversions. I set a number of key objectives for myself when I first considered this project. Firstly to complete the core of the force as quickly as possible and not let myself get distracted. Secondly to introduce scale model weathering techniques as that was not something I had done on such a scale before. Discipling myself to stick to only the key objectives I have set out has meant I have progressed much more effectively and not wandering off at a tangent like I normally do. Anyone who knows me probably realises by now I am a dreadful hobby butterfly, flitting from one distraction to another.
There are other reasons I have steered clear of converting the infantry to date other than staying on schedule, such as it not being particularly new. Assault Cannon, Cyclone and Power Weapon conversions are all things I have done in the past, so wouldn’t be adding anything new to the Ultramarines that I haven’t done before. That’s not to say I shouldn’t add them, just that it isn’t top of my priority list currently. I will likely add some more character and detail into future ‘repeat’ formations, but for now, the emphasis is firmly on establishing a core force quickly and sticking to the plan, which is all about integrating previous versions of the models and testing out the weathering.
Back to the task in hand and pushing on to the next total, which is a lot closer than you might think if tonights schedule goes to plan. Assuming I don’t freeze that is. I’m not saying it’s cold in the workshop right now, but my Espresso just turned into a Cafe Freddo.
Until next time, have a great week.